Hi there, Caly here today. I’m excited to share today’s project with you for the Lawn Fawnatics Challenge-87! We’ve got a card sketch and I hope it’s loaded with inspiration for you! There’s still a lot of time to create and join the fun if you haven’t started.
When I saw this sketch, I thought it looked like the inside of a Shutter Card – I think many of you will agree! I wanted the focus to be something different so instead of using a heart element or the circle, I tweaked and played to create an oven using the Magic Picture Changer Oven Add-On.
I started with a piece of cardstock that is large enough to cut out the shutter card base (6” x 8”). Before die-cutting, I stenciled it with the Brick Stencil and Tattered Rose Distress Oxide Ink to prevent harsh ink marks from the score lines. After die-cutting, I burnished the lines and cut out a center panel to ink-blend with the same stencil except I faded to white. To create my window, I used the square die from the Magic Picture Changer Oven Add-On to trace the inner square so I could use a ruler and kraft knife to cut my window. The die cuts the frame for the oven door, which I die-cut in Narwhal cardstock along with the burner and pan. I added some Black Soot Distress Oxide Inks to these to give them a bit of shading too.
I then cut a square using my trimmer slightly bigger than the oven door that I ink-blended with Peacock Feathers Distress Oxide ink. Then I die-cut my shutter panels using vellum. I also reserved a piece of vellum 1 ½” x 8” for a belly band. I adhere nothing together yet because I need to add my image behind the window panel first.
Now to the coloring! I stamped my images from A Creature Was Stirring and colored them with Copic markers.
Gingerbread: E30, E33
Bread: YR30, Y23, YR24
Mice: R20, W1, W3, W5
Oven Tray and Background: C0, C1, C3, C5
Reds: R32, R35, R27
Yellows: Y02, Y08
Greens: G14, G17
Teals: BG11, BG34
Purples: BV000, BV01, BV04
Once the images are die-cut, I can start building my scene! The background panel for the oven is a piece of cardstock that I colored with Gray Copic markers. Then I added the pan, bread and steam before attaching that to the card panel behind the window. I adhered the center panel to the tabs at this point and built the rest of my scene. To finish, I attached my sentiment that I embossed in white over black cardstock.